
Bentley had his first trip to the E.R. early early Sunday morning. We got home from our trip and He had a fever of 102 we gave him some Tylenol and put him to bed hoping it would go down and we set our alarm to check on him in an hour. Adam got up to check on him and his fever was actually higher. At 3:30 we went to Alta View Hospital and by the time we got there his temperature was 104.2. We were so nervous and worried. They had to give him an IV. They tried the right arm first. They had to hold him down and make sure his arm didn't move. It was my job to try to comfort him. Yeah right. Well of course they couldn't get it. Poor Bentley was just crying and crying but no tears would come out. After they didn't get the IV in his right arm I pretty much freaked out. I started crying, I felt so helpless and then they asked me to go in the hall. The little cleaning lady was so sweet she brought me a box of Kleenex and tried to comfort me. It was awful listening to them try to get the IV in the left arm. They finally got the IV in then they had to run a blood test and throat and nasal cultures and then I had to help them take an x-ray. I had to put Bentley on this contraption that looked like a bike seat and then I had to hold his arms up next to his head and they put these plastic sides up against his body that held his arms up. He just cried and cried it was so sad. They finally got the x-ray and found out he had pneumonia. While we were waiting for the results of the tests the nurse came in and Bentley was so mad at this man for giving him the IV He just screamed at him and was so upset. They had to give him a full bag of fluid and some IV anti-biotics and then they sent us home. He is doing much, much better.


4 comments:
That is so sad. I can't imagine having to hold my baby while the did that. When Hayden was a week old he had to have blood drawn for jaundice and I was a wreck. It would be much wosre to do IVs and xrays.
I'm glad he is doing better. what a way to end vacation!
Tami- I hope Bentley feels better quickly. We had a very similar experience with Ben when he was six weeks old- blood draws, x-rays, IVs and more. It was horrible. Reading your post made me feel for you so much. I hope you get some rest and comfort also.
Love ya,
Cort
Poor Baby Bentley
Isn't that chest xray the worst? We had to do that with Christopher when he was a baby and it was awful. He doesn't seem to have any memory of it, so you don't have to worry about Bentley being mad forever. What a way to end a fun vacation.
Post a Comment